Are psychotherapeutic approaches and philosophy beneficial for me?
Let's face it, being human can be difficult at times. Seeking support is an individual and savvy choice. There are many reasons why people want to improve their life experiences. Sometimes it is to deal with long-standing issues, or problems with anxiety or chronic stress. Other times it is in response to unexpected changes in one's life such as a divorce or work transition or a desire to improve one's life experiences. Many seek consultation as they pursue their own personal exploration, healing, and growth. Working with a professional offers objective and non-judgemental support and pathways towards expanded insight and new skills and strategies for all types of life challenges. Life's journey has many chapters, trials and tribulations including adjustment to how quickly life can change, anxiety, conflict, grief, stress management or mismanagement, body/self-image, and general life or relationship topics. Personal empowerment and emotional intelligence are valuable for anyone who is interested in getting the most out of their life by creating greater self-awareness, taking ownership and responsibility, and working towards beneficial insight and evolution consistent with well being and volition in their lives.
Do I really need support? I can usually handle my problems.
Everyone goes through challenging situations in life, and while you may have successfully navigated through other difficulties you've faced, it can still be beneficial to seek out extra support when you need it. In fact, people who have enough self-awareness realize they are the benefactors from an educated and supportive ally. Seeking support is one way to activate courage and determination and is something to be admired as well as acknowledged as an embodiment of intelligence. You are taking responsibility for your personal empowerment by accepting where you're at in life and making a commitment to be willing to change the situation or how you respond and experience yourself and/or your life. Personal growth and responsibility is an investment in YOU, offering long-lasting benefits empowering you with the tools needed to maintain healthy boundaries, avoid triggers, increase mindfulness, re-direct damaging or ineffective patterns while affirming that you CAN navigate whatever challenges life presents. Thus, creating space and possibility towards expansive and resilient well being and greater life satisfaction in a fulfilling and authentic life.
How can Dr. McQueen's approach benefit me?
A number of benefits are available from participating in your personal growth and empowerment. Consultative sessions can yield insight and resources, problem-solving skills, and enhanced coping, communication, and healing strategies for issues such as overwhelm, anxiety, relationship troubles, long-standing unresolved issues, grief and loss, stress management or mismanagement, aging concerns, poor self-esteem and/or confidence instability. Many people also find that sessions can be a tremendous asset to unlock creative blocks, thus, catapulting personal growth, interpersonal relationships, and living in a more joyful or graceful way even while navigating the frustrations of daily life. Sessions can provide a fresh perspective on a complex or long-standing problem. Dr. McQueen collaborates with you and is respective of your dignity and humanity vs. pathologizing the human experience. This strength-based and positive approach lends to pointing you in the direction of relief or towards a solution. The lasting benefits you obtain depend upon how well you implement the skills and process and put into practice what you learn. Some of the benefits available include:
- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals, and your values
- Developing skills for improving your relationships (to self, others, and the world)
- Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to reach out for support
- Learning new and/or improved ways to cope with stress, anxiety, uncertainty, fear, and doubt
- Managing anger, grief, depression, transitions or change and other life pressures
- Improving communications and listening skills
- Changing old or outdated behavior and/or belief patterns and developing new ones that better serve you
- Discovering new and/or more effective ways to problem-solve in your life, relationships or your work
- Improving your sense of self, self-esteem, and boosting self-confidence and personal volition
What are sessions like with Dr. McQueen?
Every appointment is unique and caters to each individual and their specific goals. It is typical to discuss the primary goals, issues and concerns in your life during sessions. It is common to schedule a series of weekly sessions, where each lasts around sixty minutes. The cadence may be short-term, focusing on a specific priority, or longer-term, addressing more complex issues or ongoing personal growth and evolution. There may be times when you are asked to take certain actions into your daily or weekly life practice, such as reading a relevant book or keeping records to track certain behaviors, thoughts, emotions, etc... It is valuable to engage the process of what has been discussed and integrate it into your life between sessions. For long-lasting transformation to be most effective you must be an active participant, both during and in-between sessions. People seeking to collaborate with Dr. McQueen are generally more willing to take ownership for their life experience as well as responsibility for their thoughts, emotions, and actions. They put in effort to make themselves available/willing to work towards self-change or regulation, and to create greater awareness in their lives including the dimensions of their strengths and success. Here are some things you can expect from Dr. McQueen:
- Compassion, respect, and understanding
- Perspectives to illuminate patterns and deepen rapport with your feelings, thoughts, beliefs, and actions
- Practical strategies for enacting positive and/or beneficial change and self-efficacy
- Effective techniques based in research and/or long-standing well being philosophy along with practical guidance and/or professional insight
- Support and unconditional positive regard as you navigate the human condition and it's challenges, particularly during these stressful times
Is Medication a substitute?
In some cases a combination of medication and well being sessions are the most prudent course of action. Working with your medical doctor or psychiatrist you and they can determine what's best for you. It is well established that the long-term solution to mental and emotional challenges and the pain they cause cannot be solved solely by medication. Instead of just treating the symptom, it's paramount to address the roots of our distress and the aspects that curb our progress. You effectively achieve sustainable growth and a greater sense of well being with a holistic approach.
What about confidentiality?
In general, the law protects the relationship between a client and psychotherapist (unlicensed or licensed), and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
However, there are some exceptions required by law to this rule. Exceptions include:
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse where practitioners are required to report this to appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person(s) the practitioner is required to notify the police.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself or themself (depending on
one's preferred pronoun). Practitioners will complete due diligence within their realm and scope of practice to enlist cooperation and honest endorsement and understanding of the importance and value in safeguarding one's life and safety. It is noteworthy that additional measures may need to be explored and/or activated to ensure safety under certain circumstances.
- Please note that laws and standards of practice in the arena of mental health can change and vary from State to State and throughout time